Call or Schedule an Appointment Online.

(773) 657-3860Book Appointment Here
2023 Income Tax Season with A2Z

Common Income Tax Documents

You Personal Information

  • Social security number of tax ID number
  • Your spouse: legal name, social security number or tax ID number, and date of birth
  • IRS Identity Protection PIN, for you, your spouse, and your dependent(s) (if one has been issued)
  • Bank information: routing number and account number (for your refund)

Your Income Information

  • Employed: W2 from your employer
  • Self-Employed: Form 1099 (typically 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC); Schedules K-1; income records for other income
  • Rental: Records of rent income generated from your property(ies)
  • Retirement: Social Security benefits (SSA-1099); pension income, IRA distributions, annuity income (1099-R)
  • Investments and Savings: Earned interest and dividends (1099-INT, 1099-OID, 1099-DIV); stock and property sales ((1099-B, 1099-S); Health Savings Account (HSA) and long-term care reimbursements (1099-SA or 1099-LTC); records of cryptocurrency transaction; etc.
  • Other Income: Payment card and third-party network transactions (1099-K); gambling income (W-2G); jury duty; prizes; royalties; alimony; state tax refund; hobby income; other Form 1099s you may have received

Information About Your Dependents

  • Personal Information: legal name; date of birth; and social security number or tax ID number
  • Childcare Information (if applicable): name of the provider and provider’s tax ID number
  • Income of Dependent(s) (if applicable): If your dependents receive income (e.g. social security benefits)
  • Custodial Parent Release (if applicable): If you are a caregiver or noncustodial parent claiming the child as your dependent, you will need Form 8332 releasing the parent’s right to claim the child

Information About Your Expenses

  • Self-Employed/Business: records showing expenses to generate income (check registers, bank statements, receipts); business asset information (cost, date purchased, etc.) to calculate depreciation; records of estimated tax payments (Form 1040–ES); proof of home office expenses; other records supporting applicable expenses for generating income
  • Rental/Investment: records of expenses related to the income generating property(ies); rental asset information (cost, date purchased, etc.) to calculate depreciation; record of estimated tax payments (Form 1040-ES); dates and cost of stock acquisition; any other records evidencing applicable expenses
  • Hobby/Gambling: Records of any expenses incurred to generate income
  • Homeownership: records of mortgage interest payments (e.g. Form 1098); real estate tax records; records for tax deductible improvements (e.g. solar panels)
  • Childcare: records of expenses incurred for (i) child care of your baby or preschooler; (ii) babysitting or other care of a child under 13 years of age while you work; (iii) expenses paid through a dependent care spending plan
  • Charitable Donations: Receipts evidencing charitable contributions (money, clothing, other property)
  • Medical/Health Insurance: Receipts for healthcare expenses including: insurance, doctors, dentists, hospitals. And amounts paid for insurance premiums outside of the Marketplace or employer sponsored plans; Form 1095-A if you are participating in a Marketplace (Exchange) plan
  • Education: Forms 1098-T and 1098-E (student loan interest); records of qualified educational expenses (e.g. classroom expenses for grades K-12);
  • Retirement and Other Tax Deductible Savings: Form 5498 series of forms (e.g. 5498-SA showing health savings account contributions; 5498 showing IRA contributions)